Tehtaankatu 23, 11910 Riihimäki, phone +358 19 758 4108
Open February – December Tuesday – Sunday 10 -18
The Museum premises are in an old glass factory. The academician Tapio Wirkkala planned the restoration and the permanent exhibition. The permanent exhibition gives insight into the early days of the history and the various glass blowing techniques as well as the products of the Finnish glass industry from the 1700’s (18th century) until today. The best known names in the Finnish glass design are Gunnel Nyman, Kaj Franck, Timo Sarpaneva, Nanny Still, Helena Tynell and Tapio Wirkkala.
Cafe: tel. +358 50 330 4446
Tehtaankatu 23 A, 11910 Riihimäki, phone +358 19 722 294, fax +358 19 719 378,
e-mail: email@example.com, www.metsastysmuseo.fi
Open May – August daily 10 -18, October – March Tue – Fri 9 -16, Sat – Sun 10 -17,
January – closed
The main exhibition of the Museum gives an introduction to Finnish out-door life and its progressive change from hunting as a livelihood into hunting as a hobby. In the Sako hall there is a large collection of the Finnish arms industry. The Safari space shows hunting trophies from exotic safaris. During the year the museum also arranges many temporary hiking and outdoor themed exhibitions.
The Riihimäki Art Museum
Temppelikatu 8, 11100 Riihimäki, phone
+358 19 758 4124, fax +358 19 758 4126.
Open Open Tue – Thu 11 – 18, Fri – Sun 11-17.
Riihimäki Art Museum was founded in 1994. The art and antique dealer Pentti Wähäjärvi (1912-1999) enabled the foundation. He and his wife Tatjana donated their large collection to the town of Riihimäki. The collection includes more than 2000 works of art and art objects. Finnish art forms the core of the collection, especially the years 1900 -1970 being well represented. The main collection of art objects are in porcelain and ceramics. In addition to the collection the museum arranges both national and foreign exhibitions in various fields of the fine arts.
Riihimäki Town Museum
Öllerinkatu 3, 11130 Riihimäki, phone +358 19 758 4115, +358 19 758 4116.
Open Wed and Sun 12 -18 or by appointment. Free entrance.
The Town Museum was founded in 1961. The museum building was originally the track engineers house and it is one of Riihimäki’s oldest buildings, built in 1858. The Museum gives an impression of Riihimäki everyday life, from prehistoric times till present. As a special theme the museum shows the Antrea ”village” history as well as the Antrean refugees arrival in Riihimäki. The Museum also organizes changing exhibitions.
The National Labour Movement Museum
Hj. Elomaankatu, 11130 Riihimäki, phone +358 19 724 454.
Open May – September Sun 12 – 16 or by appointment. Entrance fee is voluntary.
The museum building is the earlier people’s hall from the Teuro village in Tammela. The museum collection is based on working class movements and the material relating to the organizations. The hall is furnished as were the interiors of the people’s halls in the early part of the 20th century.