Riihimäki Art Museum was founded in 1994. The founding was made possible by Mr Pentti Wähäjärvi (1912-1999), an antique and art dealer who donated his outstanding collection to the City of Riihimäki in 1993 together with his wife Tatjana.
Riihimäki Art Museum operates in a state office block built in 1963. The building has been renovated to meet the requirements of a modern art museum, and it was opened for public in 1995. On the ground floor the entrance opens up into a high central hall. The exhibition space covers two floors around the central court which provides a logical direction arrangement.
The Tatjana and Pentti Wähäjärvi Collection
The collection donated by Tatjana and Pentti Wähäjärvi includes a good 2000 pieces of art and other objects. The core of the collection is Finnish art, in particular from the years 1900-1970.